Saturday 30 April 2016

Disclosing, comments, blocks etc...

Thank you to all of you who commented on my last post.  The diversity of comments made for interesting reading and the "NoFollow' attribute seemed to be news to many of you, not just me!   Meanwhile, other sewing has been mainly been by hand this week due to a long day of travelling on Wednesday and work/life on the other days got in the way.  


I've been sewing Glitter (from Jen Kingwell's Quilt Lovely book) blocks off and on- mainly off- during any trips away.  As I only have a handful of blocks I obviously don't travel enough but each is a little canvas of fabric and colour matching and they are a very pleasing task when I'm sitting on a train plugged into an audio book.  As ever I recommend Jon Ronson, this time I started his Lost at Sea compilation and it was funny and eye opening as is often the case with his writing.


I found an interesting looking book in a charity/vintage shop today, Quilt Designs from the Thirties by Sara Nephew.  It's a slim Dover Needlework series book but packed with interesting info and some great inspiration.  I'm thinking ahead to when the Farmer's Wife 1930s Quilt Along is over and I will have lots of 1930s repro fabric left over.  The FW quilt will go to my daughter but I think I will want some colourful scrappy alternative for myself and there are many to choose from in this book. 


Happy long weekend for those of you enjoying an extra  May Day away from work- be it rain, shine or snow.   Mine might involve a visit to a garden centre, it feels almost like a duty on a bank holiday and the back yard is looking a little sparse.

sib blog

5 comments:

  1. I’m smitten with your Glitter blocks! I started the Farmer’s Wife 1930’s quilt because I had so many 1930’s fabrics left over from my Dear Jane quilt. It looks like there will be lots of fabric left over again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Glitter blocks, I recently bought this Jen Kingwell book and have my eye on a few quilts. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I haven't been busy enough with the FW, I've started piecing the scraps into a drunkards path. This was the only quilt I recall from my childhood and it resided on my grandmother's bed. Maker unknown. I've got all these 30's scraps, so I thought I'd sew as I go. I am really loving seeing it come to life. I'm not a good scrap sewer, but I'm having fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you sewing your glitter blocks? By hand? (I've got most of mine cut out - haven't sewn any yet.)
    I too like Jon Ronson - saw him on TED & immediately purchased a book, I've since purchased another.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.