Sunday 8 January 2012

New Year, new projects

In 318 Patchwork Bee, Tamiko asked for Gardening blocks, a nice theme for this dark time of year, it made me think of spring this made.  This block is from the out of print book, 318 Patchwork by Kumiko Fujita.
The background print was such a good match from my vintage stash, I had to use it!  The greys are Sweetwater, the wood print is Joel Dewberry's  Aviary range and the green is a Kumiko print that I've had a while.
Maybe the gardening theme influenced me into making this little fabric pull for a private swap between Amy and myself.  The top and bottom prints are soft, washed Japanese linens and the middle two are Japanese cottons.  I am not bound to this stack although they do look rather inviting with their soft colours, I'll see what Amy's reaction is like, I am quite prepared to pull something else.  I have an interesting piecing idea for whatever I end up using, sneaky peeks coming soon...
I twisted Lula's arm just a little to spend approx £7/$10 for membership to The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery's Dessert of the Month club.  That single payment delivers 12 cross stitch PDFs to your email account and features Kawaii cute desserts that make a sampler like this lovely January truffle by Smoochee
Dessert of the Month - The Champagne Truffle
The low price is a limited offer, ending 10th January.  I dusted off my old DMC threads, tea dyed some 14 count aida canvas and stitched a grid to get her going.
And I couldn't resist Katy's Swoon quilt a long on Flickr.   I don't need more projects, no siree but my long awaiting voile collection has finally found a pattern big enough to show its print and not needing to much cutting and stitching.  The Camille Roskelley's pattern is available as a PDF, and is a clever and economical use of fabric.  Playing with dark and light fabrics makes this pattern twist and turn. 
swoon-along button
What really appealed is that the block looks straightforward, I can just cut the fabric needed for one block at a time and the pattern is perfect for quilt as you go as there is sashing between blocks.  I will be going slow, but there are only 9 blocks and it makes a whopping 8o inch square quilt.  I'll share my quilt as you go methods here if any of you want to do the same.  Meanwhile I am cutting my voiles and Kona snow ready for the first block. 
sib blog

19 comments:

  1. You're a machine, Kerry!!! I love all your projects and the swoon QAL is tugging at me! I have the swoon pattern, but have yet to do anything with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy Kerry!
    Love the block and the fabrics for Amy's coin purse.
    I am ignoring swoon, the temptation is there but I must be strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shovel and fork!
    To swoon or not to swoon, I am still teetering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This block is lovely - as usual! I'll be very interested to see your quilt as you go method - seems it would be a good skill to have for quilting large projects on a home machine. And I'm swooning too, though I have no idea what fabrics I'll use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be swooning too with Heirloom. I always love your 318 blocks. I always love everything you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tamiko's block is so cute! What great fabric selections! And I can't wait to see your purse idea - I just got a few frames in the mail and want to try one out.
    I may have to join the Swoon-along too :-) It's on my to-do list!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip about the Swoon Quilt-A-Long. I just received the Swoon kit I ordered from the Fat Quarter Shop so I'm going to start in on that. Love your garden print block! Fabrics are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so tempted by the Swoon QAL and thought it might suit my Echo stash??

    ReplyDelete
  9. The coin purse is going to be so cute!! That garden block is wonderful. ..and quilt as you go Swoon?! That would be awesome! ohhh, I might have to add a new project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another gorgeous block for tamiko. I look forward to seeing how you quilt as you go, I've never tried it before but I think it's the only way I'd ever manage a big size quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, the swoon along is calling me too but I think I have to resist right now. I LOVE the stack that you pulled! I have a stack for you too but no work can be done on it for a bit. I will go snap a picture for your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  12. eeek!!!! I'm so excited Lula's stitching a long with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love that block, perfect fabric choice too! Looking forward to seeing your purse, desserts and swoon :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gardening block is great, I am swooning and am interested to see how you do QAYG.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your 318 block is so cute! Love your fabric pulls for the purse too.

    Oh dear, I was definitely not going to do the Swoon QAL but feel myself getting sucked in :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great block! I'm swooning along too :) I was thinking qayg would be a good idea too as I don't fancy quilting such a big quilt as a whole. I'll be interested to see how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the swoon quilt a long info! I have joined it today! I love your new paper piecing piece! It is so springy look!The vintage print in the background is very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your gardening block is making me think of spring too! The quilt-a-long is so tempting! I'll have to start gathering fabric for it now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the block... and the fabrics you've pulled for your swap with Amy. Am trying to resist swooning along, but everywhere I go people are doing it! Hard to resist...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.